Friday, March 10, 2006

the p-word

Is patience a tiresome drudgery to which we subject ourselves only to secure a privilege or payday of some sort?

Is it more or less a chore -- on par with bill-paying, clock-punching, gutter-cleaning, dog-bathing, etc.?

Or is patience, in and of itself, a sweet thing?
Is it a component of personal formation?
Is it a change agent?

[Do you find yourself exercising an inordinate amount of patience just reading through this blog entry?]

Patience seems to be a critical attribute of presence -- the art of being where I am... of feeling the feelings of my life... of becoming present. To me, this is one of the most remarkable things about Jesus. It's a characteristic of his that I long to emulate.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I think patience is what we make it. An interesting concept would be how patience is affected by who it involves- if you are alone or if you are having to be patient with other people.

Scott said...

In my opinion, whether the challenge is to be patient with somebody else or my own self, what's required is a sense of God's redemptive intent in the big picture.

In other words, I have to be able to believe that the Creator is at work in us from the perspective of a good conclusion to which He is already present.

Anonymous said...

I believe it was my colleague, Rev. Blackie White who once told me that "The Spirit is patient; the flesh never has time for nothing, or nobody but itself."

Scott said...

Yeah, but until my skin cooperates with the Spirit patience is not much more than a concept. It has to be a whole-person venture.

Scott said...

Zach, you bring out an important nuance. Is patience the same as passivity? Or co-dependency? I hope not, but there does seem to be a hazy border between them.

IMHO, patience does not necessarily demand inaction. Some actions require a lot of patience, and some patience is very active. (One example might be continuing to choose to invest kindness and acceptance into a relationship that doesn't reciprocate.)

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

hmm. I agree mostly. but going back to your other comment in reply to my other one (see? this is why you need threads haha) I think that you are right but sometimes we definitely can't see what God is doing; all we know is that he is there. Even when it doesn't make sense and we can't catch the vision patience is still worth working at.

Scott said...

This makes me think of Holy Saturday: the bleak hours between the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of Jesus. God was at work, invisibly.