Friday, March 17, 2006

Eucatastrosphere

The twin piercings of humanness are the Incarnation & Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. One interrupts human life; the other, human death.

According to J.R.R. Tolkien,
The Birth of Christ is the eucatastrophe of Man's history. The Resurrection is the eucatastrophe of the Incarnation. This story begins and ends in joy.

Tolkien created the term eucatastrophe to fill a hole in the English lexicon. It’s meant to convey the notion that God has planted a seed of infinitely concentrated joy in the soil of human existence. It is a potent goodness, always becoming thinkable, visible, tangible through people saying yes to the Spirit.

The-way-things-ought-to-be exploding redemptively outward into the void of the-way-things-ought-not-to-be like a Big Bang of meaning, beauty, honor, grace...

The space created by this phenomenon is sometimes referred to as the Kingdom of God. Building upon Tolkien’s word, I've started thinking of it as the Eucatastrosphere -- a soul-scape shaped in the ripples of divine interruption...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool...

have you read/heard of the Father Christmas Letters by Tolkien? they kind of remind me of the Garden Stories.

Scott said...

I have, but it's been a long time. I guess I should revisit them.

When are you going to transcribe the Garden Stories?

Anonymous said...

me?? I don't remember them well enough! :) I just know you need to write them, or tell them, or something...so that they do get written.

I'm sorry I can't comment as much as I'd like...it's just I have trouble getting my brain around this non-thread format. but I think this blog is really great.

Scott said...

I'd like to learn more about thread format blogging. Can you point me in the right direction?