Thursday, March 16, 2006

Inhabiting Littleness

I can only be this person, in this place, in these relationships...

Finite, temporal, limited...

I have instant access to the most superlative instances on the planet of anything I might attempt in my local sphere. So my efforts will necessarily pale in comparison unless I am the very best in the world.

Frankly, this does not inspire me; it freezes me. It could be because I’ve lost touch with the parameters of my own given context. I have misinterpreted my world as the world, which is far too expansive a playground for me.

Somehow, I have to rediscover the wonder of the littleness of my life. I must inhabit my actual sphere of influence (as opposed to the global sphere visible to me via the 12-inch screen of the iBook I’m using to type these words).

It is another facet of presence: to be here, fully incarnated and engaged within the littleness of my life.

10 comments:

Scott said...

Nice! Good words, Zach.

There’s a fascinating paradox in this concept: I am more likely to grow to my full stature in a human-scale habitat than one of monstrous proportions. And it’s not simply the “big fish in a small pond” phenomenon (i.e., the illusion of bigness resulting from comparisons); it’s perhaps more analogous to a fish that would flourish in a pond, but not thrive at all in a river (or vice versa) – or a cedar that grows strong and straight in the shade of firs, but doesn’t develop in an open field.

Anonymous said...

sb... It sounds as if you're experiencing the phenomenom I've identified as "Village-ization", which is the soul's response to the overwhelming 24/7, world-wide connectivity and "globalization" we now live our days within.

"Village-ization" is the desire to get hands on with what, and who is right in front of you in your own little corner of the world.

It's a Jesus-Thing... getting your hands "dirty" with what's in your little God-designed and appointed sphere.

Scott said...

Preach it!

Anonymous said...

We must trust that God's wisdom and knowledge of who we are,the gifts as well as the shortcomings we as particular individuals may possess are a part of the plan for us. Grow where we are planted, but know this could mean far beyond our realm of comfort.

Scott said...

That is a nicely balanced perspective, Ms.G -- thank you for joining the conversation!

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's been awhile since I've walked these woods,these muscles are having to find their memory... balancing is a teacher's gift and curse...

Anonymous said...

the "sociological imagination" - being involved in the world and realizing our impact without becoming completely overwhelmed about our little-ness. I have an essay from a class on it somewhere...you should read it.

Scott said...

Yes, please: I'd like to read it.

Anonymous said...

yes; remind me to bring it to you on Sunday. it's even pretty short.

also:

we have these things called e-reserves for school- they are essays the teachers assign instead of books. I can give you my log in information and you can feel free to get lost in these essays as time allows. I think you would really enjoy many of them (they are copious).

back to studying...

Scott said...

Thanks!