Sunday, March 05, 2006

Choices, part 1 [Joshua ch.1]

There is a lot of hardpan in the book of Joshua. Hardpan is what my yard is made out of; it is basically glacial excrement, from what I understand -- clay and gravel compressed together into something that will not be penetrated without determination, sweat, patience and blisters -- and more sweat.

But there are also plenty of beautifully simple ideas about faith-life. “Be strong and courageous...” “Don’t be afraid...” “The Lord your God is with you...” And one of my personal favorites: “Get ready for a miracle, but pack a lunch because it could take a while.”

Okay, that’s just my paraphrase. In the name of full disclosure, let me include a more legit translation:
“Get some food ready, because in three days you are going to cross the Jordan River to occupy the land that the Lord your God is giving you.” Joshua 1:11b

It makes me smile when the transcendent and the mundane hold hands like that. And by “mundane” I don’t mean boring, but rather “everyday”, “earthy”, perhaps even “pragmatic”. It underscores the fact that we are crafted of skin and spirit, and that God is happy about that.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Well, I left a comment but it didn't show up. Guess I'll try again. I love Joshua because of the way that I received the book of Joshua in my life. When my brother passed away, I received his bible. In it there were just a few things underlined. They were Joshua 1:6,7 & 9. When I think of these verses I think about how important they must have been to my brother. Food from the Lord....it's um,um good!

Scott said...

Thanks for the comment, PJ. It is not hard to see why the Book of Joshua would be dear to you.