Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Feral

“...no one can tame the human tongue.” James 3:8

I have sometimes thought biting my tongue, so to speak, did no real good because whatever I’d been about to say was already in my mind anyway. But I have come to believe that saying something out loud is like pushing a stone downhill: chances are, it will start rolling once gravity gets a hold of it.

The sense I have is that words spoken create momentum toward another thought, then another remark, which propels toward another thought,etc. Given conducive circumstances and willing conversational partners, the momentum can quickly become strong enough to pull me into attitudes I didn’t mean to visit.

It’s better to train the tongue to set good things in motion: encouragement, affirmation, kindness, provocation toward love and good deeds...

But maybe we need to accept the fact that it is never completely domesticated; it remains at least partly feral.

7 comments:

Scott said...

Alex - you have filled your comment/paragraph with ideas worth engaging. I’ll choose two for now.

The purity connection is spot on: action is likely enough to follow cognition and communication. James gets into this: saltwater doesn’t flow from a freshwater spring. Thoughts, Words, Deeds... there is a natural flow from one to the other. [Note: sometimes those things flow the other direction. But that’s a topic for a different post.]

Your linking of these things to the health of the community is insightful and important. As much as I’d like to be an island at times, I know that’s a fiction. My choices impact my community. And my community affects my choices...

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scott said...

Great points, Zach. I like your connection of the concept to worship songs that employ overstatement -- an effective means of clarifying the notion.

Anonymous said...

"Say WA?!"

Sometimes even when folks have the luxury of thinking about what they want to say it still comes out all wrong... and goes downhill from there.

Case in point? The new Washington State slogan, "Say WA.", which, after 18 months of development, the high-powered 32-member task force figures to be the verbal "pearl" that will attract more tourists. Yea... if they're hip-hop rappers with a notion to the visit the Evergreen State.

Let's just say, "My Bad". That's pretty much what James was trying to get across in his letter when he warned about the tongue.

Scott said...

You're kidding about "Say WA", aren't you? Because I don't know if I could continue to live in a state with that lame a slogan.

Anonymous said...

I kid you not my friend. The "Say WA" news story ...(see

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/traveloutdoors/2002867135_webwashtourism15.html)

... is just one more bit of evidence, "dat along with all dem taxpayer-funded sex change operations deys sumpin mighty strange in water down dere in O-lympia... seems to be too much 'genderification' goin on in dis heah State"... as Rev. Blackie White put it.

Scott said...

This is one of those instances when I would have preferred remaining ignorant...