Monday, November 13, 2006

Muscle

A few weeks ago, I started posting about Fourfold Fitness [see intro], which is a tool that helps me focus my intentions.

It might seem like an obvious statement to say that physical strength [see table] is integral to a healthy life. I’ve noticed a couple of disturbing abilities in myself, however; one is taking for granted the strength I have, and the other is adapting to my incremental loss of strength. In other words, I don’t tend to think very much about developing or even maintaining physical strength. And as various muscles atrophy, I just work around my reduced capacity.

I’m committed to altering that trajectory; its eventual destination is not where I choose to go. My skeletal frame needs support and connectivity. I need muscle in order to do what I’d like to do without damaging myself. So I’m slowly building resistance training into my routine.

There are many other things I’d rather do, so it’s important for me to remember the big picture of my life. I have to consciously consider what my “ten-years-from-now self” would say to me; that a decade of small choices directed toward good habits (practices) will profoundly effect my future quality of life.


Copyright Scott Burnett 2006

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't get the link to the previous posts to work properly, could just be a temporary issue. I was going to try to determine if you were actually talking about or aluding to physical muscle or spiritual muscle. I suppose in either case I tend toward enjoying the muscle building or weight lifting but not the stretching and flexibility (which you talked about previously). Even thought that is different from what you describe I recognize that your comments apply to me in reverse from the way you apply them to yourself. I need to be aware that the body needs more than weight lifting but also needs the streching. Physically or Spiritually if one becomes muscle bound (I have a ways to go in both) they can not accomplish much. It would help me look good or possibly freekish in a speedo but I couldn't do any real work. Thanks for helping me remember that and sorry if I placed any mental images that make it hard to sleep at night.

Scott said...

Doh! They used to work. Thanks for the heads-up -- I'll see if I can figure it out. Or maybe if I procrastinate long enough it'll heal itself.

That's a good insight about the danger of becoming muscle-bound. I really wish you hadn't introduced the Speedo image, though; that one is going to haunt me. Anyway, back to muscle-bound... The notion of becoming immobilized by one's own strengths, pushed to an extreme, is worth pondering.

Anonymous said...

If I could, I'd go back in time to visit the 10-years-ago señor jefe and kick his butt!
"Dude! Lay off the fast food!!!"

Of course, I am making decisions now that (hopefully) will encourage the 10-years-from-now señor jefe to love me.

Scott said...

That's exactly what I'm talking about, señor jefe! Besides the various butt-kickings, I would tell my ten-years-ago self to enjoy the gifts of life - think less about my inadequacies and more about my strong suits -- stop waiting for external forces to shape my life and start taking tangible steps toward the life I hope for...

Needless to say, logic compels me to acknowledge that my ten-years-from-now self is saying the same things to me right now.

Scott said...

Um, I guess those are also butt-kickings.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.