Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fourfold Fitness

The soul’s topography won’t fit within the languages of tongue or pen. It’s like trying to capture the vastness and detail of a natural landscape in the frame of a photograph.

But knowing the terrain of our own depths is necessary for fully engaged living. Some people have an innate knack for soul navigation; others need a map and compass.

I use a four by four grid, where the intersections create “intention zones” integral to my joie de vivre. The four components of my humanness are: Physical, Emotional, Cognitive, and Spiritual. The four key attributes of fitness (IMHO) are: Strength, Flexibility, Endurance, and Balance.

The next few soul-friending posts will describe some of my intention zones. I hope there will be ideas and inspirations for you. However, I hasten to underscore that it’s just a map I’ve sketched to help make sense of my personal topography; it’s not intended to be comprehensive, absolute, or directly transferable. But maybe it’ll provoke you to undertake your own “depth cartography”.



Copyright Scott Burnett 2006

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

great model, Scott, and long in anticipation – reads like what had been described to me, and what would be prescribed by a good soul-friend. lots to think about, plan, integrate, and practice and maintain. but I reckon it's important to know the personal human landscape before "beginning any new exercise program -" time for an evaluation on my part. what is the balance for me? what would tip the scale? yeah, some amount of each component is definitely required, and the balance can be optimized in favor of a human type. Me, at first glance: a little more of each, and a little more strength here, a little less flexibility there – not sure what you mean by balance as an attribute, but I am sure you’ll explain henceforth. Otherwise: koyaanisqatsi. The hows will be fun and a good opportunity for people to share experiences, tips, tricks; the breaking with old habits will be tough, right? – to add a little more of this or that. Yes, good work

Anonymous said...

The problem I have is that I just get to feeling pretty good with one area,say for instance physical;working, building and facing the difficult parts when I realize my cognitive is sagging or my spiritual is lacking. It's a full time job being fully human, fully alive. I wouldn't have it any other way. KRG

Anonymous said...

KRG, how do you know when one area is lacking? how do you measure that?

peace - atw

Scott said...

Thank you, Mr. T-Wolf -- your insights and encouragements are valued.

I don’t really know how to pronounce koyaanisqatsi, but understand that it can be translated as “life out of balance”. I have not seen the film; it sounds like it needs to be added to my short list!

When I think of balance, I think of not falling over. When I think of good balance, I think of not falling over even when pushed or when my world shakes.

Anonymous said...

like resilience, perhaps?

Scott said...

Resilience is a great word (one that I might have to add to my grid somewhere...).

Anonymous said...

Alex, I promised I would answer you, so sorry it's been so very long ago. I am the kind of person who tends to put myself under the microscope constantly. I kind of do an inventory mentally emotionally and spiritually. I notice if I am responding out of character, or if I am not acting true to my beliefs or convictions. I also notice time...what I have or not devoted my time to. The physical is most obvious as my body yells at me if I have neglected it or over done. My spiritual I look and listen to the Holy Spirit for prompting. My emotional I also look to the Holy Spirit for prompting and listen to my heart and mind. I know these are not earth shattering concepts nor is it black and white. I hope to always grow and hone what God has given me. I also know that I can only do it one step at a time. I believe my steps are "ordered by the Lord". So I have a direction to travel. Peace to you also brother.
KRG