Sunday, October 29, 2006

Wisdom (Cognitive Balance)

Wisdom is not a one-dimensional quality. It is something like an intersection of knowledge and understanding with commonsense… A cultivated awareness of the big picture along with attentiveness to detail… Consistent, tenacious, and ready for change... Open-hearted with clear, strong boundaries…

Wisdom seems to presume and produce thoroughgoing balance. While its varied streams and currents seem to flow in and out through the mind, it certainly involves much more than cognition; it’s a whole-soul endeavor. Furthermore, it makes no sense in isolation: wisdom is relational.


Copyright Scott Burnett 2006

2 comments:

Chester Qualls said...

Your last phrase hits me between the eyes, "wisdom is relational". I often think of a wise person as maharahi (sp) sitting on top of a mountain dispensing wisdom. However as you point out that probably isn't true wisdom. When I read this post I thought of the example of parenting. Before having children I had knowledge. In fact I believe that the only people who know it all about raising children are those who have not yet had any. That wasn't wisdom however. As I raise children I have learned how to place that knowledge into context. I have found some of my knowledge to be absolute bunk. As I try to build a relationship with my children I would hope I am building wisdom rather than knowledge. Knowledge can be so cold. Knowledge of course is a strong part of wisdom as you say, the knowledge you have when you begin the journey and the research you do along the way.

This is good news because now I don't have become a hermit on a hilltop to gain wisdom I can keep living in the trenches and keep alert to what is happening and someday if I am fortunate I'll have some wisdom. I sure hope so it would be about time. Commonsense? That's another issue.

Scott said...

Hey Chester! It’s great to see you here at soul-friending -- welcome to the conversation. Raising children is an excellent illustration of this concept; thanks for that.

I’m glad to hear that you’re not going through with your relocation to a mountaintop and a life of bleak asceticism. We like having you around, haunting the lowlands.