Friday, July 07, 2006

TRANS|plant|action|formation

Transplant Transaction Transformation

Look at God’s declared intent in this lovely couplet: the equation contains three additions and one subtraction.

"I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 11:19, NIV

{PLUS} Integration (undivided heart)
Meaningfully constellating our fragmented souls

{PLUS} Inspiration (new spirit)
Breathing into us a second wind

{MINUS} Petrification (heart of stone)
Stone became set in its ways a long time ago
It would rather break than bend
It’s incompatible with breath and blood

{PLUS} Corporeal Reanimation (heart of flesh)
Flesh is pliable, vulnerable
And capable of growth
It’s a suitable habitat for life

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the need for this renewal of heart and spirit (clay in need of warming) on a regular basis. Our lives are so busy and so full of "stuff" that it's difficult not to go on autopilot. This unfortunately tends to leave our spirit lagging behind somewhere. Time to "be" in God's presence renews me. Inspiration as a second wind....YES! KRG

Scott said...

Thank you, KRG -- the image of outrunning your spirit is powerful! It does feel that way sometimes; that there's a gap between my functioning self and my true center.

And thanks to you as well, SG, for your poetic and perceptive paragraph. I can't really argue with you about the shattering because that is certainly what it feels like at times. But I'd add that I've also witnessed the Spirit transforming stone into flesh, as it were, on a molecular level. The changes are imperceptible, incremental, elemental... and eventually radical.