Monday, April 24, 2006

absorption & transcendence


Self-absorption
is a symptom of relational entropy.

It exacerbates fragmentation.

Self-transcendence, on the other hand, integrates the self within a greater meaning .
It paradoxically deepens identity and propels individuation.

"It takes all sorts to make a world; or a church. This may be even truer of a church. If grace perfects nature it must expand all our natures into the full richness of the diversity which God intended when He made them, and Heaven will display far more variety than Hell."

C.S. Lewis

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you hide your knowledge, new insights, new experiences under a bushel how are we going to light the world or enlighten the world?

Scott said...

To which bushel, pray tell, do you refer?

Anonymous said...

The one in the song, This Little Light of Mine! "Hide it under a bushel, no, I'm going to let it shine". It is not to be confussed with the one that Moses saw.

Scott said...

Ah yes. But how am I hiding my "knowledge, insights, experiences" under it? Or were you using "you" in a more generalized sense?

Anonymous said...

Are "you" being alittle self-absorbed? I think that you (sb) usually do a pretty good job of sharing your knowledge, insights and experiences though I must admit, I've been curious as to why there have been so many "others" quoted in the blog as of late. Don't get me wrong they are indeed inspiring and interesting, in fact I have wondered what sources you have been using to find the fine array;however, it is good to read your own words of knowledge, insights and experiences. Yes, "you" was a generalized "you"....me included.

Scott said...

Oh... Clearness at last! (Sometimes I'm slow on the uptake.) And yes, guilty as charged: I'm way more self-absorbed than I want to be -- hopefully growing less so...

The quotes are things that grab me along the way. I underline them, or I toss them into a file -- they pile up over the months/years. I was digging around recently and found a few that seemed to want to be brought into the light of day.