Friday, September 22, 2006

Teachable

Cognitive Flexibility means taking a “bend, don’t break” approach to beliefs. It is to be teachable.

In 2nd Timothy 2:24-25 Paul writes, “…the servant of the Lord must not engender strife, but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those in opposition.”

(21st Century King James Version)

Complimenting the explicit phrase “apt to teach” is the implicit characteristic of “apt to learn”.

Perhaps it’s slightly counterintuitive, but maintaining a teachable mindset calls for fearlessness. The fear of being wrong and – even worse! – going public with it by changing my attitudes, opinions, and ideologies is frequently enough to keep me from becoming genuinely open to new ideas.

I suspect that cognitive flexibility is at least as difficult to cultivate as physical flexibility. Stretching is a uniquely irksome form of pain. Sometimes I have to remind myself of why this intention is important in my quest to more fully engage my life. But, as with my body, I want my intellect to enjoy the entire range of motion for which it was designed.


Copyright Scott Burnett 2006

No comments: