Wednesday, May 17, 2006

dis-illusion

“They say to the seers, ‘See no more visions!’
and to the prophets,
‘Give us no more visions of what is right!
Tell us pleasant things, prophesy illusions.
Leave this way, get off this path,
and stop confronting us
with the Holy One of Israel!’” Isaiah 30:10, NIV

Oh boy... this is a tough one. My illusions have been very dear to me, and I’ve mourned each one’s passing. Certainly, there are many remaining -- including the illusion that I’m relatively free of illusions!

A world cobbled together with denial is a rickety affair. It won’t hold up against the blasts of reality. It lacks depth of foundation and openness to light. How can relationships find health in a place like that?

Disillusionment is a strange friend, never welcome but often bearing excellent gifts.

Tell me the truth
Show me what is right
Confront me with holiness

4 comments:

Scott said...

It's interesting to push that metaphor a little bit: leaning on a walking stick that is only an illusion... It's downright Charlie Chaplin-esque!

Anonymous said...

But disillusionment, though educative, can foster cynicism. I think there's a balance of vulnerability that must be reached; embracing disillusionment while....what's the other part?

Scott said...

I think the key is to continue to choose softheartedness. Cynicism can be a pivot point on the way to maturity as long as we don’t allow ourselves to petrify in it.

It is difficult to choose openness and innocence after an illusion has been lost. Ignorance facilities innocence. Maturity requires cynicism because it must opt for vulnarability with eyes open to the risks.

Scott said...

Now that I re-read last night's comment, I don't like my wording: "Maturity requires cynicism..." It would be better to say that maturity requires a person to travel through times of cynicism.